Good weathering guides

Where to ask about those bits you need, or want....
Oldgamer

Good weathering guides

Post by Oldgamer »

I am thinking about getting some Mig weathering products, are there any good online guides on how to apply these?

Richard B.
Site Admin

Group Builds

Re: Good weathering guides

Post by Richard B. »

I am NOT being funny, but try typing "Mig weathering" into Google it revealed loads :lol:
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

Boroda wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:53 pm If you go to the Ammo Mig web site they have a Downloads section. In there is their 2018 catalogue and in that they are some short articles. If you are on Facebook it might be worth checking out their group, l think there have been some tutorials. There has certainly been some on their YouTube channel and I recall some by Mig himself done in some detail.

There's also a wealth of experience amongst the users here, so if you have any specific questions please just ask away.

When I started to use these products I didn't have a clue and asked lots of questions and found people very helpful. And there is also nothing like just giving it a go. I found with some products (streaking ones for instance) I only really got it once I tried, and failed, a couple of times. I now keep a small fleet of old models that are used solely for experimenting on :D

We seriously need to do a few guides as to how we all do it. That doesn’t mean anyone’s way is the right way, but if everyone posted their own individual way of doing things it would in the end result in an amazing combined resource... 8-)

The next model I do I will do a guide..... ;)
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
Oldgamer

Post by Oldgamer »

Thank you for the helpful comments and links.

Richard B, l have used Google but mainly got websites selling various products that left me none the wiser. You might like to Google 'How not to be a dick' yourself and follow the good advice?
Richard B.
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by Richard B. »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
S_P

Group Builds

Post by S_P »

I bought some oil paints and worked may way through these guides. Was very pleased with the results I got.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rareworld.htm
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

S_P wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:27 pm I bought some oil paints and worked may way through these guides. Was very pleased with the results I got.

Interesting Pete, I gave up enamels years ago for acrylics as they are much more user friendly, but I have never tried oils. Maybe I should give them a try out.
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
Oldgamer

Post by Oldgamer »

Those guides are great, just what l was after, l would never have thought of using my airbrush to spray the paint off a paintbrush. Thanks everyone for your assistance.
fscunha
Supporting Member

Post by fscunha »

True Earth are a water based weathering products. Never used them by I'm tempted.
http://www.true-earth.com/contents/en-uk/about.html
S_P

Group Builds

Post by S_P »

mausmann wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 pm
S_P wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:27 pm I bought some oil paints and worked may way through these guides. Was very pleased with the results I got.

Interesting Pete, I gave up enamels years ago for acrylics as they are much more user friendly, but I have never tried oils. Maybe I should give them a try out.
My technique now for vehicles is paint in acrylics, gloss varnish, weather with oils, matt varnish, weather with pigments
SABOT

Group Builds

Post by SABOT »

I am using cheap eye shadow from super drug 😳
fscunha
Supporting Member

Post by fscunha »

Boroda wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:41 pm
SABOT wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:26 pm I am using cheap eye shadow from super drug 😳
Ok, but what do you use on your models ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm curious also!!!!!
SABOT

Group Builds

Post by SABOT »

On my models I am using cheap make up.

Eye shadow trays for £1 from poundshops with on average 10 shades of colour. They last ages and are particularly good on buildings and vehicles. It’s all the same stuff - dried up paint pigment. I also use the dried up enamel bottom of the tin paint - same stuff really.

Costs way less than the Hobby materials. And I always get a shag on a Saturday night when I go clubbing! 😩 ( well, you asked for that so blame yourselves). 😁
Adler
Supporting Member

Post by Adler »

The Tamiya weathering sets arte a good starter, art pastels and chalks. ( most of the 'weathering' filters etc are just pastels/chalks ground up) Wax based crayons are good for streaking and mud.
L
Hincmar

Post by Hincmar »

Interesting to read the comments on pigments. Always worth bearing in mind that they are primarily designed for use with 1/35th scale models, which means the granularity can look out of scale with 1/72 unless you're very careful. These days, the only pigments I use are various shades of earth Migments (I still have a few pots in the stash from when they came out years ago) mixed very sparingly with compatible acrylic paints by Valejo and Mig. For everything else (rust, dust etc.) I use enamel and oil paints, although I've also taken a shine to the Life Colours acrylic range for rust.

The best guides to painting and weathering braille scale models that I've read are the books and articles by Alex Clark, the master.

Return to “Who does, what is, where is.......?”