Force on Force Afghanistan

Win or lose, post your AARs here....
TacticalPainter

Force on Force Afghanistan

Post by TacticalPainter » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:26 am

Something a little different for me and out of my usual WWII groove, but I've been attracted to the Force on Force rules with their interesting action/reaction phases and the use of different sided dice to reflect troop quality. It's a feature that could so easily transfer over to WWII. That said the FoF rule book is a bit of a mess - it's not at all intuitive and trying to find an answer to a question in the middle of play becomes frustrating and time consuming. However it's worth a bit of patience and perseverance. We played out our first full scenario using one of the official published scenarios in the FoF Enduring Freedom supplement. It's an asymmetrical engagement and the Taliban player needs to play to the strengths of irregulars and avoid a toe to toe confrontation with the regulars. There's a full AAR here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... istan.html

The Tactical Painter
Painting small figures for tactical games on the tabletop

mausmann
Site Admin

Re: Force on Force Afghanistan

Post by mausmann » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:25 am

Great looking terrain and figures..... thmbs2)
Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes in the wind, and sometimes against it, but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.

chairborne

Post by chairborne » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:14 pm

We've (club members) been talking about resurrecting our FoF Afghan games, so nice to see some inspiration. Completely agree about the Osprey FoF book being a mess - it was one of the things that eventually turned me off them. Apparently there is talk of an Ambush Alley 2.0, but not clear if/when that might happen. Thanks for sharing.

sediment

Post by sediment » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Great looking game. We've played a few games with FoF, which were great, but we had an experienced player to act as umpire. Looking anything up in the rule book is a real chore.

Cheers, Andy

dead1

Post by dead1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:03 pm

Good report. I have been thinkng of dusting off my Aussies and Talibunnies too.

I agree with your assessment about FoF. To be honest, it can be very frustrating playing as Talibunnies - they die in droves and tend to not accomplish much. It also doesn't capture the real life fighting (or what I have read). Taliban seldom have great numbers and generally go for hit and run approach and usually by very small groups of insurgents.

So I have been thinking about getting a copy of Skirmish Sangin which seems more accurate, at least in numbers.

SABOT

Post by SABOT » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:01 am

Terrific stuff👍
Fin .... Tank on!

Bluewillow

Post by Bluewillow » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:58 am

Great looking table and figures,

I enjoy FOF but now have started using tomorrow war rules for simplicity, and changed the armour rules.

Cheers
Matt

Baz_Baziah

Post by Baz_Baziah » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 am

The original "Ambush alley" rules are in my opinion far superior to the Osprey edition. Most games played out on a 2 or 3 foot square table in 15mm quickly and simply. Fog of war cards varied the scenarios and could make one sided fights anything bit in the turn of a card. I ditched FoF and went back to the original. For those with a need for a bit of sci fi in their games should try Ambush Z their zombie adaptation, again simple and fun.

Jim