Assault on the Minsk Highway.

Win or lose, post your AARs here....
mausmann
Site Admin

Assault on the Minsk Highway.

Post by mausmann » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 am

We played this one a while back now, and have only just got the time to post up. It was inspired by the excellent Ironclad Minis trench system, which I was lucky enough to purchase at Partizan and painted up for the game.

Hincmar and Wiking made the trip up (thanx lads!), taking the parts of General von Konynen and Marshal Allenkov respectively. I joined Sean on the Russian side and off we went.

The game is a RF scenario which we tried with BG rules after a bit of adjustment with the forces. Basically an assault on a German dug in fortified position blocking the Moscow-Minsk highway, a key rollbahn and an objective in the early stages of the Destruction of Army Group Centre.

Game table at start, with Germans dug in tighter than an Alabama tic!

The Russians begin their assault, advancing on both sides of the Highway...

A German Nashorn was deemed to be a key target, but even a combined Katyusha and air strike failed to dent it... :)

Fred's dug in StuGs went thru the IS-2s like a knife thru butter.... :shock:

The Russians press on, and manage to take out the SiG33 at the end of the line, this was to prove a key event later on....

Sean on the right puts in a textbook assault assisted by an Assault Pioneer platoon...... thmbs2)

On the left I at last manage to get things co-ordinated and make an Ura! charge.....

Sean throws in an OT-34, but to no avail as it gets brewed up quickly......

The Katys strike again......

My assault doesn't even make the wire, and the StuGs are still hammering away.......

Sean makes a massive effort and despite heavy casualties makes it into the trench line and starts to clear along.....

My attack is completely destroyed, so we commit our final reserves to reinforce Sean's success on the left.....

The final pics of the game at the end, with Sean in the trench line....the highlight of the game.... thmbs2)

Absolutely great fun all round!! At game end both sides were roughly the same BR away from breaking, but the Russians had taken a hammering. They did make the trench line, but didn't really have enough to carry the assault much further. My force allocations gave the Russians a reasonable advantage in points as the Germans had paid a lot for the defences. However a lack of artillery and insufficient armor cost them dear.
That said the game was not comfy for either side, it's not easy sat there watching the steamroller roll towards you! Thanx again to all for a great day's gaming, immense fun!!!
Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes in the wind, and sometimes against it, but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.

Don McHugh

Re: Assault on the Minsk Highway.

Post by Don McHugh » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Great looking game.

Enjoyed the write up immensely

Don

dead1

Post by dead1 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:09 pm

Awesome game!

Poacher

Post by Poacher » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:59 am

Well done fella's brilliant looking game and reminds me that I have a load of that Ironclad trench system to finish off !!

billk

Post by billk » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:59 am

Nice looking game. Thx for the pics.

empecinado

Post by empecinado » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:27 pm

Super game! Fab stuff! thmbs2) thmbs2) thmbs2)

laurence strong

Post by laurence strong » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:40 am

sweet AAR It's a great scenario...played it a couple time's :)

Cheers
Larry

Fire at Will

Post by Fire at Will » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:22 am

Tempts me to retry it with Battlegroup

sediment

Post by sediment » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:50 am

Lovely looking game and a nice RF to BG conversion. How did you handle the dug-in Stugs and SPGs? Did you give them a save value or improve their armour rating?

Cheers, Andy

Hincmar

Post by Hincmar » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:30 am

Thanks for the AAR, mate. What a cracking game. Enjoyed it hugely, with a large dose of chat thrown in too.

Credit to Mausmann for his canny defensive deployment on my behalf (I was late as usual). The most enjoyable part was the climactic hand to hand combat in the trenches when Sean's Russian engineers managed to grab a foothold. Great stuff!

Super lay-out as well, lovely toys - it had everything. That trench system looked excellent: As Poacher says, I must dig out my own and get it painted up.

Thanks again for hosting and to both of you for being such sporting "opponents".