Hammerhead 03/03/2018

What’s going on when.....
chairborne
Site Admin

Group Builds

Re: Hammerhead 03/03/2018

Post by chairborne »

Bugger. Well that makes that decision easier.

mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

Bugger indeed! I was going to question the closing of the road as it looked fine to me when I drove past, I’m assuming they mean the road onto the site.... :roll:

Now if only I knew a local farmer with a tractor...... ;)
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
Martello Towers

Group Builds

Post by Martello Towers »

Was discussing this today about whether the show would go ahead, and I thought it'd probably be fine for Saturday.
Guess the organisers can't second guess the police and need to make a decision as early as possible.
Might mean I can make it now too (Saturday looking to be a very busy day).
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

Boroda wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:03 pm I think this kind of decision is made not just on reflection of the local conditions, but also the on the conditions/risks faced by people travelling from afar.

You’re right, it’s easy for me, I could walk it in half an hour if that...... ;)
7dot62mm
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by 7dot62mm »

As a Finn it always amuses me to see how much of the rest of Europe is immediately in disaster mode when it snows even a bit... :lol:
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

7dot62mm wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:32 am As a Finn it always amuses me to see how much of the rest of Europe is immediately in disaster mode when it snows even a bit... :lol:
The media here do tend to hype things up when sometimes in reality all we get is a few flakes..... :roll:
7dot62mm
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by 7dot62mm »

mausmann wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:44 am
The media here do tend to hype things up when sometimes in reality all we get is a few flakes..... :roll:
They actually do that here too, announcing that (whenever) is going to be the coldest winter day or worst storm ever, whatever. And some people do believe it, every time. The problem is that weather reporting is an entertainment industry and they have to make headlines in order to make money. So whoever comes up with the most panic-inducing headline gets the most clicks / views / followers. It's counter-productive.

This morning it was -22 degrees Celsius (-8 degrees F) and it's a beautiful day. There's a scale modelling show 200 km to the north of here and I'll go there tomorrow, if I get my car started :D
recon

Post by recon »

mind you compared to other countries uk is lacking ..in dealing with snow ..trains stuck for 5 hrs ..one just outside Christchurch,..main roads blocked and for some reason takes hours being them in charge decide to call in help ..I lived in Denmark and the farmers are out straight away clearing snow cause they have an agreement with government ,they even got snow machines for pavements..and pavements have to be cleared by house owner ..very simple arrangements could stop a lot of these problems ..but this is said every year
Don McHugh

Group Builds

Post by Don McHugh »

Having been in all the Dorset snow yesterday, a large part of the problem is people not being able to drive properly in the conditions. I drive for a living and it is the worst I have every seen it. I only got home due to the snow ploughs clearing two hills and allowing us through. So MASSIVE BIG THANK YOU to them and the various people helping push people out in Yeovil.

Some of the people stuck with me, were locals who had gone out and thought the press had over egged it.

I am hearing the Hammerhead show is cancelled, so please check before travelling.

We have cancelled our trip to Abingdon as I have a problem with my car and it is still bad here, so no one in the garage.

Don
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

I’ve just driven on the roads supposedly closed by the police, so obviously some confusion there.

I suspect the real reason is the organisers are concerned about the financial viability of holding a show when some traders/members of the public might not turn up, which is fair enough.

And as several have said it might be okay in Newark but definitely not elsewhere.

Return to “Events Calendar”