Jigsaw Paint Shaker

Where to place tips and guides for modelling and requests for same...
Fitz
Supporting Member

Jigsaw Paint Shaker

Post by Fitz »

I've been using a cheap $20 jigsaw to shake the bejeezus out of my paints for a while, and it works very well.

Up until now, I've just been clamping the paint bottle to the masking-tape wrapped blade of the jigsaw with a bulldog clip, and that has worked OK, but from time to time I do get a flying paint bottle. Also, it's a bit of a faff getting everything mounted properly.

So, I've made this modification.

The main body of the frame is just a bit of plywood that I've cut out, drilled, and epoxied to the jigsaw blade. I filed down the teeth of the blade for safety's sake. The bottles are held in place by some bits of velcro I had left over from some household job or other; they're just stapled to the plywood frame.

I can shake two bottles at a time with this setup, though how the jigsaw will cope with all the extra weight and vibration in the long term I don't know. It cost very little though, so I'm not risking much.

I cut a notch in the cap end of the frame to give the bottle some lateral stability. I don't know how necessary that is, but it can't do any harm.

mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Re: Jigsaw Paint Shaker

Post by mausmann »

What an excellent idea! Many thanx for posting... thmbs2)
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
Fitz
Supporting Member

Post by Fitz »

Something to beware of, if you want to replicate this: be sure to allow enough bare jigsaw blade that the plywood bit doesn't bang into the jigsaw itself, but not so much that the weight of the frame and paint bottles can cause it to flex unduly.

The way I worked out what that clearance is, I put a pencil against the side of the blade at a point where it was clear of all protrusions and gave the trigger a quick squeeze. That gave me a pencil line on the side of the blade, the length of which is exactly the clearance I had to leave free.
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

Cheers, thanx again.
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
S_P

Group Builds

Post by S_P »

That looks like it will be brutally efficient. thmbs2)

Return to “Modelling tips and guides.”