RF2 motor battalions

Where to place research pics and info, and ask about the same....
wargameroz

RF2 motor battalions

Post by wargameroz »

Looking at the motor battalion in the front of RF2 and then looking at the motor battalion in “From D-Day to VE Day” by Jean Bouchery, the case could be made for a RF2 motor battalion to have 2 x 6 pounders, would be interested in your thoughts please gentlemen

Don McHugh

Group Builds

Re: RF2 motor battalions

Post by Don McHugh »

As I said on FB the orbat in the battleground Normandy book for 7th Armoured reflects the new thinking on numbers.
However I did notice yesterday in the big Arnhem game that the motor battalions were more like the rules, this may be that this is what people have.
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

I could go with 2, sounds reasonable. Increased points cost would not be too great either.... thmbs2)
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
wargameroz

Post by wargameroz »

While I enjoy the concept of the Battlegroup idea I’d like to see some generic organisation books come out so things like Recce, engineers etc could be tabled. I’ve built 43rd Wessex and Guards Armoured based around the Market Garden book and updated to RF2 where possible but find that Battlegroups leaves me with surplus vehicles. So I’m going to persist with the RF2 orgs and just draw out what I need if doing a Battlegroup game
DaveC
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by DaveC »

As I recall the 1944 motor battalion's D company had 4 platoons of 4 x 6pdr

As such the case for 2 models is easily made. As it's unlikely that the battalion would be at full strength for any length of time I'd probably stop there.

As Don has pointed out the RF Normandy Battle Groups book has 2 x 6pdr in 7th Armoured Division's Motor Bn (
That orbat also reduces the company strength to 9 from 11 on the rule book.
Don McHugh

Group Builds

Post by Don McHugh »

wargameroz wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:31 am While I enjoy the concept of the Battlegroup idea I’d like to see some generic organisation books come out so things like Recce, engineers etc could be tabled. I’ve built 43rd Wessex and Guards Armoured based around the Market Garden book and updated to RF2 where possible but find that Battlegroups leaves me with surplus vehicles. So I’m going to persist with the RF2 orgs and just draw out what I need if doing a Battlegroup game
Having just been involved in Colin’s large Market Garden game, I suspect you are going to be disappointed as the next book will be a battlegroups Arnhem book, followed by a scenario book for those battlegroups.

Don
wargameroz

Post by wargameroz »

Don

Never ever disappointed about anything to do with Arnhem, my most treasured book is the Market Garden book, I hope it will be out this year, mind you I have all of the first Airborne and Polish Brigade as per the book but I’ll keep them and just draw what I need for the Battlegroups.

I look forward to seeing what units are in the book and will use the calculator to create those that aren’t using the original supplement as the basis

Simon
Don McHugh

Group Builds

Post by Don McHugh »

wargameroz wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:31 pm Don

Never ever disappointed about anything to do with Arnhem, my most treasured book is the Market Garden book, I hope it will be out this year, mind you I have all of the first Airborne and Polish Brigade as per the book but I’ll keep them and just draw what I need for the Battlegroups.

I look forward to seeing what units are in the book and will use the calculator to create those that aren’t using the original supplement as the basis

Simon
Yes it should be out this year, but towards the end. I think you will be very pleased with it.

Don
wargameroz

Post by wargameroz »

Don

Excellent news, as I said, love anything to do with Arnhem.

In 1989 when we flew from London to Amsterdam we did Market Garden in reverse, then shot across the Somme to The Normandy beaches, would love to do it again but nowadays being cooped up in an aluminium tube with 300 other bodies for 24 hours leaves me cold, I’d rather just spend the money on toys ;) and let them do the flying :lol:

Simon
wargameroz

Post by wargameroz »

Just revisiting this, can you advise if either 2HCR or 43rd Wessex Recce get a guernsey or should I start working something out using the calculator ;)
Don McHugh

Group Builds

Post by Don McHugh »

wargameroz wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:46 pm Just revisiting this, can you advise if either 2HCR or 43rd Wessex Recce get a guernsey or should I start working something out using the calculator ;)
If you mean are they in the orbats, then yes.

You may see 43rd Wessex at 'Colours' if we put on a demo game.

Don
wargameroz

Post by wargameroz »

Ok, thanks, not likely I’ll get to Colours, bit far for someone who finds flying uncomfortable these days :(

Return to “Research pics and info”