.50 cal on British Half-tracks

Where to place research pics and info, and ask about the same....
Ryan
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Re: .50 cal on British Half-tracks

Post by Ryan »

In my research on the Canadian army it seems that most motor battalion halftracks removed the .50 cals (same with Sherman Tanks) and that they were given to the bren carrier sections. The Commonwealth forces didn't use halftracks like assault vehicles in the same way that the Germans used their Sd. Kfz. 251's. It was thought that the carrier sections were more likely to make direct contact with the enemy and were thus beefed up with the 50's for this reason. That being said, I've seen the odd Sherman retaining it's .50, therefore its a logical assumption that the odd halftrack did the same. It makes sense that one or two vehicles might retain the guns for unforeseen emergency situations.

Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Part of the difference between the British and Canadians is that while the Canadians were issued the .50cal along with their HT's many of the British HTs in their Motor Bns were in fact converted M16 and so the troops never actually saw the guns.
Alan
Adler
Supporting Member

Post by Adler »

Had no idea of that Alan, learn something new. :D
Certainly true that Brit tank crews prefered the .30 to .50 cal it appears.
L
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Leon, if you ever happen to look at the Airfix HT you'll see that they have even moulded the hinges for the fold down sections of the side/rear.
Alan
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

It looks like at least some of the Grenadier Guards' HT had .50 cals in Market Garden(03.08). The film also shows Germans in a Dutch Fire Engine, even if they are prisoners(01.30).

Alan
sandsmodels

Group Builds

Post by sandsmodels »

i had thought i saw guards h/t with .50's on them on a different film
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

I acme across this on ebay, I think that this is a pair of MG34's but am quite ready to be corrected if anyone thinks differently.

Alan
Ryan
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by Ryan »

My understanding is that British/Commonwealth forces didn't use halftracks as assault vehicles, like the Germans. Troops dismounted away from direct fire and moved to contact by foot. Carriers, however, were used for scouting or bringing ammo to the line, all kinds of things. The 50's you see on the carriers came from the halftracks, mounted because they were more likely to be in direct contact. Some halftracks retained their MG's due to the small threat of air attack or any other kind of surprise emergency. There was no set in stone policy that I am aware of, but I'd only mount 1 HT with an MG, say, in a platoon. If at all. British and Canadian vehicles in D+ did not seem to stick to any kind of standard, really. Equipment and stowage was modified in the field to the crew's specification, replacements brought in were marked up differently, if at all. That's one of the things that makes them fun to model, each vehicle can really have its own personality. Still, I'd go light on the MG/Halftrack combo.
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

The Germans didn't use them as assault vehicles either, just armoured taxis in the attack and not at all in defence.

The original question was about which sort of mg the British would use and not how they'd use it, purely a modelling point not a wargaming one.
Alan
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

Alanmccoubrey wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:49 pm The Germans didn't use them as assault vehicles either, just armoured taxis in the attack and not at all in defence.

The original question was about which sort of mg the British would use and not how they'd use it, purely a modelling point not a wargaming one.
So it would be fair to say that not many were armed at all, if they were it could be a .50, Bren or even a twin MG 34.... thmbs2)
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
Trockledockle

Post by Trockledockle »

I may be remembering this incorrectly but I think that I read somewhere that the 30 cal Brownings fitted to carriers and half tracks were local modifications and the guns were recovered from crashed fighters. The RAF Browning was actually a 0.303 so ammunition supply would have been easier.

Return to “Research pics and info”