How do you arm your Rapid Fire battalions

The place to knit and natter..
wargameroz

How do you arm your Rapid Fire battalions

Post by wargameroz »

Not sure if I’ve asked this before so I will again, might have been on the Guild

How do you arm your infantry companies in your battalions, eg I give all my Brit companies of 8 men a Bren, sten, RTO and 5 rifles, my yanks get a Thompson, bazooka, grease gun, BAR and the rest rifles while the Germans get a MG42, MP40, panzerfaust and rifles

I know it’s just the total of figures firing but I do like to sort of arm them “properly”

I look forward to your answers

Simon

Fire at Will
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Re: How do you arm your Rapid Fire battalions

Post by Fire at Will »

I do something similar using the same mix as in a real section for a RF company. But sometimes it's effected by the exact mix of figures available, so I might end up slightly SMG heavy.
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

I try to treat each RF Company as though it were a section with an NCO with SMG, LMG Team and Riflemen some with Panzerfaust.
Alan
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

wargameroz wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:45 pm Not sure if I’ve asked this before so I will again, might have been on the Guild

How do you arm your infantry companies in your battalions, eg I give all my Brit companies of 8 men a Bren, sten, RTO and 5 rifles, my yanks get a Thompson, bazooka, grease gun, BAR and the rest rifles while the Germans get a MG42, MP40, panzerfaust and rifles

I know it’s just the total of figures firing but I do like to sort of arm them “properly”

I look forward to your answers

Simon
Interesting question.....I’d echo Will’s answer, rightly or wrongly it is largely influenced by what the figure manufacturer of your choice includes in his packs.... ;)
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
wargameroz

Post by wargameroz »

Part of the reason I’ve taken to bankrolling some of the Wartime ranges, I get what I want and I love Andrew Stephens work
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

wargameroz wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:29 pm Part of the reason I’ve taken to bankrolling some of the Wartime ranges, I get what I want and I love Andrew Stephens work
It was and still is really good stuff..... thmbs2)
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
laurence strong

Group Builds

Post by laurence strong »

I try to use an actual officer figure for the 1st company and SMG's for the other 2 with a LMG team and a faust man and the rest mostly with rifles... I save my StG 44 for my Volkssturm...

Cheers
Larry
Veroo

Post by Veroo »

wargameroz wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:29 pm Part of the reason I’ve taken to bankrolling some of the Wartime ranges, I get what I want and I love Andrew Stephens work
How intriguing! Good to know someone is still putting that talented man's skills to use, particularly since Battlefield appears to have given up on new releases. Hat's off to you, sir!
DaveC
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by DaveC »

This is something that has for me evolved over time.
My earlier units tended to be a best fit of figure packs to total required and provided I had the necessary support weapons and rifle companies were not made up of 10 guys with LMG that was OK.

Later a rifle company had an obvious leader or an LMG usually looking at a 1 leader 2 LMG mix. That said leader and LMG per company had become the aspiration. In selecting leader figures I'm acutely aware of the difficult compromise in appearing as just one of the guys to an enemy sniper but visible to your squad, platoon or company as necessary. For me a British leader figure could be a an ordinary rifleman figure with a pistol holster and slung map case.

Most recent units achieve this aspiration but not so my US paras who due to the way RF structures the company who have 30cal on light tripod (looking closer whilst it is a tripod it lacks the refinement of say a Vickers or MG34 trpod or even that used with the water cooled M1917 30 cal to lock the weapon on a fixed line or fire indirect. (The value of the latter is another discussion entirely)
Company level anti armour will usually replace rifles.

The benefit of reflecting the actual or official weapon mix is of course having the option to switch the RF battalion into a reinforced Platoon for skirmish games.

Overall as the rules do not distinguish I'll not get to hung up on facing armies which do not share the aspiration - indeed I often face an American force in which other than the bazooka all 8 figures are identical but different by company.
Just my musings on the matter
wargameroz

Post by wargameroz »

Veroo wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:53 am
How intriguing! Good to know someone is still putting that talented man's skills to use, particularly since Battlefield appears to have given up on new releases. Hat's off to you, sir!
Andrew and I go back 30 years, I’ve always loved his work so I’m happy to keep it going

Return to “General Discussion”