Is this Joe's Bridge ?

The place to knit and natter..
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Is this Joe's Bridge ?

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Does this film start on Joe's Bridge ? The armoured units are almost definitely Guards AD throughout, for example at 4.10 the Sherman on our left side of the screen is "Snow White" of HQ 5th Guards Armoured Brigade, virtually the same scene is in BT White's book "British Tank Markings and Names."

Alan
dadlamassu

Group Builds

Re: Is this Joe's Bridge ?

Post by dadlamassu »

It certainly looks like it could be. The buildings surrounding it and particularly the large building on the far (German) side are very similar to the ones I saw when I visited the site many years ago. The Bailley bridge was built by the RE at the side of the original bridge (blown in 1940) and replaced a German wooden pontoon bridge that had been used since then.
Don McHugh

Group Builds

Post by Don McHugh »

Joe's bridge wasn't a bailey bridge, so I would say no.

Have a look here.

https://liberationroute.fr/belgium/pois/j/joe-s-bridge

Don
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Odd that, I too had read that it was a double Bailey which is why I thought the double Bailey in the Film was it, that bridge is clearly the German built wooden one that was captured intact.
Alan
Don McHugh

Group Builds

Post by Don McHugh »

Alanmccoubrey wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:33 pm Odd that, I too had read that it was a double Bailey which is why I thought the double Bailey in the Film was it, that bridge is clearly the German built wooden one that was captured intact.
Maybe the baileys were built along side it to increase the capacity?

Don
dadlamassu

Group Builds

Post by dadlamassu »

I have gone back to my notes from the battlefield study. The original bridge was blown up in 1940. It was replaced by a German wooden pontoon bridge. Then the Germans built a wooden replacement (not sure if they kept the pontoon in place). This was supplemented/replaced by the Bailey Bridge. The wooden bridge was the one captured by the Guards.

You can see that the bridge is wooden in this picture.

The German wooden pontoon bridge and the Bailey which replaced it are to the west of the bridge in the picture. There was a bit of discussion on the tour whether the name of the bridge came from "Joe" Vandeleur or from the nickname of 615 Fd Sqn RE "The Joes" or "Joe's Troop" which built the Bailey Bridge and improved the wooden bridge and route. Unfortunately I did not note exactly when the Bailey was built as it would be preferable for the tanks to cross by the stronger Bailey Bridge and wheeled and foot traffic could use the wooden bridge. So it possible that both could be "Joe's Bridge".

Nothing British Army nomenclature is easy!
SABOT

Group Builds

Post by SABOT »

The Bailey was built to the West of the wooden bridge I believe. I reckon the film footage is as per, note the 88mms facing tne direction of the original threat around 10th Sept etc. Good find Alan.

Return to “General Discussion”