US Airborne 20mm

Winner: empecinado - 2nd: Dave C - 3rd: patrokles
DaveC
Supporting Member

Group Builds

US Airborne 20mm

Post by DaveC »

Based on the Rapid Fire Normandy Battle groups 101 Airborne as a starting point but marked as 82nd, just a couple of Jeeps short of 200 points.

I'll grow this out to a larger force using the 82nd Airborne list in RFN Battlegames.

ImageImage
75mm Howitzers, 2 x FOO & Jeep tows. Guns, Crew & Jeep Crew SHQ, Jeeps Milicast FOOs TQD & Elhiem (converted gunners)

ImageImage
Airborne 6pdrs; Guns SHQ, Crews Elhiem (1 figure per crew slightly modified)

ImageImage
Regimental HQ - Figures TQD and Mercer Miniatures, Jeeps Milicast with SHQ crew.

ImageImageImageImage
2 Parachute Infantry Battalions; Figures from Elhiem, TQD and Mercer. Mortars Elheim.

Overview every thing to date - not a extra couple of 30cal and a couple of odd extra figures.

mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Re: US Airborne 20mm

Post by mausmann »

Excellent quality and quantity..... thmbs2)
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
patrokles
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by patrokles »

Something fantastic ! thmbs2) By the way .... That's my dream to build US Paras Platoon for BG ... :idea:
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
George S. Patton
fscunha
Supporting Member

Post by fscunha »

since there is no clapping smiley: clap clap clap!!! fantastic!!!!
thmbs2) thmbs2) thmbs2) thmbs2) thmbs2)
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Dave, very nice. I'm trying to convince Colin that they didn't really have a .30cal MMG in every company, what they actually had was the .30cal LMG, the one with the butt and bipod. It will make US Paras slightly less like the Kingtigers of Infanry.
Alan
Ianwill

Post by Ianwill »

Dave,

Great stuff, very well done. thmbs2)

Cheers

Ian
DaveC
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by DaveC »

Alanmccoubrey wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:18 am Dave, very nice. I'm trying to convince Colin that they didn't really have a .30cal MMG in every company, what they actually had was the .30cal LMG, the one with the butt and bipod. It will make US Paras slightly less like the Kingtigers of Infanry.
Alan
I am sympathetic to that view, that said there may be an argument that they're hard done by when it comes to 60mm mortars. Its one of a number of orbats that involve awkward comprises.

I think that is shown by the many variation on the theme in the various RF books featuring US Paras.
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Dave, the fact is that the US Paras had NO MMG at all. As for the mortars the entire battalion had 9 x 60mm and 4 x 81mm so giving them one of each is fairly close especially in these days of "Points" where they also have to find the points for that damned Arty Op in BHQ. Richard has noted the LMGs in his Ardennes book and there really is no excuse for continuing to have an imaginary MMG in every company.
Alan
wargameroz

Post by wargameroz »

We are spoilt for choice in 20mm for US Paras with some very nice figures from FAA and Kelly’s Heroes as well.

Not sure why :lol: :roll: but I have, I think 4 RF PIRs made up of a mix of FAA, Kelly’s Heroes, Britannia, Elhiemmand now some of the Adler ones
Don McHugh

Group Builds

Post by Don McHugh »

Back on message,

Great looking force Dave.

Don
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

wargameroz wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:30 pm We are spoilt for choice in 20mm for US Paras with some very nice figures from FAA and Kelly’s Heroes as well.

Not sure why :lol: :roll: but I have, I think 4 RF PIRs made up of a mix of FAA, Kelly’s Heroes, Britannia, Elhiemmand now some of the Adler ones
Simon, I was delighted to find that the Mercer Paras that I painted are a very good match for Adler Late War British (which I have) and therefore I hope his Yank Paras (which I don't have).
Alan
wargameroz

Post by wargameroz »

Alan

I think you will be well pleased

Simon
Veroo

Post by Veroo »

Simply astounding. Great mix of makes as well!
laurence strong

Group Builds

Post by laurence strong »

Nice army thmbs2) thmbs2)

Cheers
Larry
empecinado

Group Builds

Post by empecinado »

Excellent stuff! thmbs2)
Petracelli

Group Builds

Post by Petracelli »

They are really very impressive- which colours did you use for the jacket and trousers.

Cheers

Phil
Bluewillow
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by Bluewillow »

great stuff, really like your mix of ranges

where did you buy the Mercer miniatures from I cannot find them on the web?

cheers
Matt
“Wargaming history in 20mm from ww2 to Cold War”
https://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.com
DaveC
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by DaveC »

Petracelli wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:52 pm They are really very impressive- which colours did you use for the jacket and trousers.

Cheers
Phil
Uniforms are GW Zandri Dust with Karak Stone web kit with Athonian Camoshade overall.
I can not take credit as the colours were suggested way back when on the Guild, indeed I cannot recall who's suggestion they were originally. Thw Athonian Camoshade was my refinement
Bluewillow wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:29 pm great stuff, really like your mix of ranges

where did you buy the Mercer miniatures from I cannot find them on the web?

cheers
Matt
Sorry - I can help I got my 2 packs direct from Tim at a GWP Big Game (BattleAxe) as I recall a swop for some decals. I've used all I had.

A consistent paid job and basing will tie together most ranges with a little care. Some ranges look rubbish together due to size or style difference but sometimes both work with a third manufacturer's output that's somewhere in the middle.

Next up for these will be more Jeeps and a Gider Artillery Battery with 105mm M3 pack Hows and another Parachute battalion using the lovely Figures from Adler in the main.

Dave

Return to “GB1 - Inaugural”