US Airborne additions

For news of new kits, figures, manufacturers, rules...
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Re: US Airborne additions

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

According to Forty the US Airborne Division had a Recce Platoon of 64 all ranks which had two Recce Sections in Jeeps carrying .50cal HMG(sorry I don't have the numbers), a Mortar Squad (no details known) and a Pionier & Demolition Squad with a total of 17 Jeeps. These were Glider troops rather than Paras so might have been in Glider uniforms.

Alan
Greebs

Post by Greebs »

Adler wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:07 am
wargameroz wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:34 pm Yes, a Recce Jeep crew and 57mm gun crew would be great
Not sure the US Airborne had dedicated recce jeeps the way the Brits did, dont recall seeing anything other than gerneral utility, artillery towing ,supply, evac ones and radio HQ jeeps. If anyone has more info let me know.
L
I'm assuming it was the Recce units from which the Armoured Jeeps particularly associated with the 82nd Airborne came?

Edit:
Wait, caption mixup, that one might be from 82nd Armoured Recce (e.g 2nd AD's recce unit...)

If I keep chucking images, one of them might be from an airborne unit! That's what you get when you use google for sources, because you don't have any books on airborne, and it's harder to get the pictures onto the internet from there!
Adler
Supporting Member

Post by Adler »

Thank fellas,
The armoured types are from when the Paras are being used as ground troops Im really only looking at drop capable stuff at the mo.
Reckon the glider riders jeeps would have had glider uniforms, the Paras did have 'scout' sections but not heard of them having jeeps though the possibility of them hijacking Glider troops transport shouldnt be discounted lol.
But from what I can see they didnt have a specific recce jeep like the Brits which is fine by me because it means I dont have to make one/fit figures into a specific jeep model. Will probably use the Itaeri and S-Model one as the intended fit. Prefer the Airfix one but its a little more complicated and expensive and so probably less popular?
All thoughts at the moment, giving 20mm a bit of rest for a while.
L
Adler
Supporting Member

Post by Adler »

A conundrum.
Working on the Para HQ jeep figures at the moment ( shouldn't be but doing so while doing other stuff) and there is a technical problem.
Seated figures always have a problem with flashing between the legs, it just goes with the moulding process. Way around this is to make the figures two part ones, lower and upper body. 'Kit' figs have problems too, people dont like assembling figs much and I hate making em as well, specially these figures as they have sooooooo much kit at waist level ?)
There might arise other reason why modular castings might be needed but so far I think they will work as a one piece casting but as I said with the strong possibility of flash between the legs, should be light and easy to remove. ( the other possiblity is to deliberatly 'fill' the gap between the legs) just throwing this out to see what your thoughts are, afterall your the poor devils that will be painting em lol.
L
ray

Group Builds

Post by ray »

I use the Airfix Jeep,and would not use anything else as it is a class kit and the set comes with a trailer and pak '75'. For my book I converted one into the 82nd AB armoured jeep. So I would like crew to be able to fit into the Airfix jeep. thmbs2)
Adler
Supporting Member

Post by Adler »

I entirely agree Ray.
They should fit all the jeep models, the question is with how much work. The Airfix one is probably the least tricky as its a really good kit and pretty accurate. The Hasegewa quick build is more of a problem as its a little more 'compromised'. Just assembling the S models one so we shall see about that one.
I was looking at the Osprey Jeep book for details to make sure I modified the kits to US Airborne versions properly and you know the the book barely mentions them..........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. To save my brain can you tell me what you fettled/good source of info please Ray? I know Ive got some references somewhere hereabouts but your brain might save me a lot of shelf/box/loft/HD searching.
Ta
L
ray

Group Builds

Post by ray »

Well Leon,The US AB jeep is the same as a standard Jeep. They built the Waco glider around it so the Americans unlike the British did not modify it at all. The Osprey books are very hit and miss thmbs2)
Adler
Supporting Member

Post by Adler »

Ah Ray,
Thats why I find details about Brit conversions and not US ones. Makes sense now though a line or two telling a fella that in the Osprey would have been a bit useful !)
Ta very much Ray you have saved me hours of more !)
As for Osprey you are very right from the sublime to the almost usless very occasionally.
L
DaveC
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by DaveC »

I for one do expect metal figures to be entirely flash free. Great when it happens but provided that there is is easily removed I'll not complain.

I think the issue with 'kit' figures is whilst some both fit together and look like the parts belong together others simply don't. FWIW I'd prefer a one piece casting and remove flash if necessary.

All in all very much looking forward to these figures. ;)

The only mod I've come across for US AB Jeeps is a modified front fender for Jeeps operating in tandem as artillery tows for the M3 105mm pack how. Can I find a photo now....
Greebs

Post by Greebs »

I imagine for most figures, especially within the confines of a Jeep, there's precious little space for legs to make it worth trying to sculpt a definable gap between them, tricky flash or no?
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

While watching a truly terrible documentary on the Bulge this evening it was brightened by this.

What appears to me to be a Yank AB Arty Jeep as described by Dave C. It is the best I can do with juyst a photograph of the tv screen.
Alan
DaveC
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by DaveC »

Alan

Yep that's what I was getting at
Thanks
Arvaker

Post by Arvaker »

Some better views.

Also see this link: http://wwiijeepparts.com/Archives/JeepTrailer.html
The Guild made me do it!
DonFabrizio

Post by DonFabrizio »

While watching a truly terrible documentary on the Bulge this evening it was brightened by this.

What appears to me to be a Yank AB Arty Jeep as described by Dave C. It is the best I can do with juyst a photograph of the tv screen.
I think I have a book with that picture Alan, I will look it up tonight.
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Poor Dave must be feeling offended, none of you found anything when he asked :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alan
DonFabrizio

Post by DonFabrizio »

Got it! The still is also on dispay in the museum in la Gleize. I will check if the book offers a more detailed caption.
given the likey date of the the picture, I doubt it as used by US airborne forces before fallschirmjägers laid their hands on it.
Arvaker

Post by Arvaker »

It is in Duel in the Mist too.
The Guild made me do it!
DonFabrizio

Post by DonFabrizio »

I looked it up. The picutre is a still from film footage made on the morning of 19 December 1944 in Stoumont. The Fallschrimjäger are from III/FR-9
DaveC
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by DaveC »

Not at all offended, There's at least a couple of shots here way better than I'd found. The key point is that it is a pretty easy conversion compared to taking a standard production line Jeep to UK a/b configuration for example
wargameroz

Post by wargameroz »

Received these today, cracking figures, well done young Leon

Return to “Hobby News”