Folgore; Museo Storico delle Aviotruppe in Pisa

Museums, battlefields and other places of interest
SJWi

Folgore; Museo Storico delle Aviotruppe in Pisa

Post by SJWi »

Last week my good lady wife and I had a few days in Tuscany. After Florence and Siena we ended up in Pisa to see the leaning tower etc etc. Whilst checking out the Tourist information office I noticed a small leaflet with the title "Folgore"......obviously a military museum. A quick check on Google maps showed it to be a half hour walk away and we were off. As the museum is on an active military base getting in can be interesting. I had a Monty-Python and the Holy Grail style experience shouting up to an Italian squaddie who was looking at me from a small third floor window, trying to work out what I wanted. His English was just as bad as my Italian. Nevertheless we got in!

It is a small, 10 room affair, very like old-style British regimental museums. Nevertheless some interesting kit. For WW2 buffs there was a Solothurn 20mm anti-tank gun on its carriage, a diorama with a 47mm anti-tank gun, a Brexia 45mm mortar plus an assortment of machine guns and uniforms. Most uniforms were is glass cases which made photography tricky. Post war is also well covered with modern uniforms used in Somalia and Afghanistan. Outside are a few artillery pieces and jeeps/Landrovers.

Entry is free. To be honest you would need to be fluent in Italian to get the most out if it. I was in and out in 30 minutes . But, if you are in Pisa and have had enough of Renaissance art and architecture it is worth a look.

The address is Via di Gello, 138, 56123, Pisa.

bruce88

Group Builds

Re: Folgore; Museo Storico delle Aviotruppe in Pisa

Post by bruce88 »

Thankyou for the review, i live a couple of hundreds kilometers from Pisa, next time i'll visit the town i will find half an hour for the museum :)
SJWi

Post by SJWi »

Glad to be of help. I also picked up a leaflet listing 15 other Ministry of Defence museums. If you don't know of them I could send you details. They are mainly in the north and in Roma.
bruce88

Group Builds

Post by bruce88 »

If you could send me a picture of that leaflet i would be very grateful :)
SJWi

Post by SJWi »

Hi, I need to work out how to post pictures. The details of the museums are as follows;
(1) Museo della Grande Guerra e Della Fortezza di Palmanova . Piazza Grande 21- 33057 Palmanova
(2)Museo Storico della Terza Armata Via Altinate 59 - 35121 Padova
(3)Museo Storico Navale Riva S. Biasio Castello 2148-35122 Venezia
(4)Museo Tecnico Navale Viale Amendola 1- 19122 La Spezia
(5)Museo Storico Aeronautica Militare Via Circumlacuale snc Loc Vigna - Bracciano 00062 ( Roma)
(6)Museo Sorico Dell' Arma Dei Carabinieri Piazz del Risorgimento 46 - 00192 Roma
(7) Museo Storico Della Fanteria Piazza S. Croce in Gerusalemme, 9 - 00185, Roma
(8) Museo Storico Della Cavalleria, Viale Giolitti, 5 - 10064 Pinerolo ( TO)
(9)Museo Storica Nazionale Di Artigliera, Masto della Citadella, Corso Galileo Ferraris 0 - 10143 Torino
(10)Istituo Storico E Di Cultura Dell' Arma Del Genio, Lungotevere della Vittoria, 31 - 00195, Roma
(11)Museo Della Motorizzazione Militare . Viale dell' Esercito , 170 - 00143, Roma
(12)Museo Storico Dei Granatieri Di Sardegna, Piazza S Croce in Gerusalemme, 7-00185, Roma
(13)Museo Storico Dei Bersaglieri, Via XX Settembre- Porta Pia - 00187 Roma
(14)Museo Nazionale Storico Degli Alpini, Localita Doss Trento - 38100 Trento
(15)Museo Storico Della Brigata Sassari Piazza Castello, 9 - 07100 Sassari
bruce88

Group Builds

Post by bruce88 »

SJWi wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:12 pm Hi, I need to work out how to post pictures. The details of the museums are as follows;
(1) Museo della Grande Guerra e Della Fortezza di Palmanova . Piazza Grande 21- 33057 Palmanova
(2)Museo Storico della Terza Armata Via Altinate 59 - 35121 Padova
(3)Museo Storico Navale Riva S. Biasio Castello 2148-35122 Venezia
(4)Museo Tecnico Navale Viale Amendola 1- 19122 La Spezia
(5)Museo Storico Aeronautica Militare Via Circumlacuale snc Loc Vigna - Bracciano 00062 ( Roma)
(6)Museo Sorico Dell' Arma Dei Carabinieri Piazz del Risorgimento 46 - 00192 Roma
(7) Museo Storico Della Fanteria Piazza S. Croce in Gerusalemme, 9 - 00185, Roma
(8) Museo Storico Della Cavalleria, Viale Giolitti, 5 - 10064 Pinerolo ( TO)
(9)Museo Storica Nazionale Di Artigliera, Masto della Citadella, Corso Galileo Ferraris 0 - 10143 Torino
(10)Istituo Storico E Di Cultura Dell' Arma Del Genio, Lungotevere della Vittoria, 31 - 00195, Roma
(11)Museo Della Motorizzazione Militare . Viale dell' Esercito , 170 - 00143, Roma
(12)Museo Storico Dei Granatieri Di Sardegna, Piazza S Croce in Gerusalemme, 7-00185, Roma
(13)Museo Storico Dei Bersaglieri, Via XX Settembre- Porta Pia - 00187 Roma
(14)Museo Nazionale Storico Degli Alpini, Localita Doss Trento - 38100 Trento
(15)Museo Storico Della Brigata Sassari Piazza Castello, 9 - 07100 Sassari
Many thanks man! I suggest you to visit the aeronautic museum in Bracciano (number 5 in your list), one of the best war museume i've ever seen. If you need some help to translate the names of the museums to know what they are about, you just have to ask!
Poacher
Supporting Member

Post by Poacher »

Think I might have to go to it, when I go over for the Italy v England 6 Nations match next year. Will start Easy Italian lessons now :-)
bruce88

Group Builds

Post by bruce88 »

Poacher wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:26 pm Think I might have to go to it, when I go over for the Italy v England 6 Nations match next year. Will start Easy Italian lessons now :-)
Not far away from Rome, so it will be easy enough for you to reach it before or after the game! Let me know if you need some infos about the museum or, more interesting, italian food! :D
Poacher
Supporting Member

Post by Poacher »

Bruce, many thanks for the kind offer might take you up on it. All being planned at the moment. SWMBO doesn't want to do the 18 hour train leaving Friday arrive Saturday for the match and catch it back late Saturday night or Sunday morning !!! ;-)
Poacher
Supporting Member

Post by Poacher »

Well a year on from my original post about the Museum and I still haven't got to it :-(

Return to “Sights and Sites”