German Tropical Shirt

Where to place research pics and info, and ask about the same....
billk
Supporting Member

German Tropical Shirt

Post by billk »

All, the German Tropical Shirt seems to me, from the pictures I've found, such as below, to be a lighter linen color rather than the darker sand color seen on most Tropical Tunics and Trousers, or the more yellow color seen on the Fallshirmjager Tropical Blouse and Trouser. Correct?
Thanks in advance for any reply. Bill

Tony Barton

Re: German Tropical Shirt

Post by Tony Barton »

Bill, The Luftwaffe had a yellowish sand uniform,which shows very pale in photos, compared with the Army's olive green , which of course bleached paler with wear anyway, though it could appear quite dark when new.
To add to the complication of possible shades , Italian and British clothing was also worn. So you can have quite a range of colours being worn , sometimes in the same unit. The two officers in the lower photo show that variation rather well ; I think the pale-clad figures in the top pic are Luftwaffe .
billk
Supporting Member

Re: German Tropical Shirt

Post by billk »

Thanks Tony.

When looking at color images of actual and repro Tropical Shirts, rather than B&W photos, the item's color seems much more neutral than the yellower Luftwaffe items and olive-brown standard WH tunic and trousers. Seems like what most of us would consider a natural linen or bleached burlap color.

The officer in the tropical shirt next to the officer in the tunic gives a good reference as far as difference in strength of hue.

Bill

Return to “Research pics and info”