Horrible Melty Rubber-band Tracks

Where to place tips and guides for modelling and requests for same...
Hornswoggler

Re: Horrible Melty Rubber-band Tracks

Post by Hornswoggler »

Actually I'm not that convinced it's anything reacting which causes the problem as much as an instability in the chemical make up of the tracks themselves.........
That is certainly true of some manufacturers and Matchbox is one of the best known examples. But afaik it didn't afflict their entire range - just certain kits. Stretching my memory a bit here but for example Pz III and Firefly have perfectly good vinyl tracks with no problems at all whereas the M16 MGMC has tracks virtually guaranteed to be soft / oily and disintegrate if the kit has spent any significant time in the box.

In the case of Matchbox, anybody wanting those kits other than as collectibles is far better off going for the Revell re-pops as the tracks are proper Revell "rubber band" tracks ! thmbs2)

magnification

Post by magnification »

I'm afraid Revell produced Matchbox kits are not exempt either. A little while ago I picked up three combination sets of Revell Scottish infantry/M3 Honeys at a model show for a fiver each - bargain! Not exactly. When I got home I found the tracks on all three Honeys had turned brittle and simply snapped into bits. I think there is a business opportunity here for someone like SHQ to expand there range of white metal Vehicle Accessory packs to include more than just Panzer III and Sherman track lengths. I would buy loads. As well as looking better, white metal add-on tracks would help give plastic kits just a little more heft and generally sit better on the table.
ray

Group Builds

Post by ray »

magnification wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:56 pm I'm afraid Revell produced Matchbox kits are not exempt either. A little while ago I picked up three combination sets of Revell Scottish infantry/M3 Honeys at a model show for a fiver each - bargain! Not exactly. When I got home I found the tracks on all three Honeys had turned brittle and simply snapped into bits. I think there is a business opportunity here for someone like SHQ to expand there range of white metal Vehicle Accessory packs to include more than just Panzer III and Sherman track lengths. I would buy loads. As well as looking better, white metal add-on tracks would help give plastic kits just a little more heft and generally sit better on the table.
Are you sure that you did not buy original vintage Matchbox and not the Revell re-issued kits?
I ask as I own some 70's era Matchbox kits,the track on all are now brittle ,but they are over 40 years old.I keep them un-built out of nostalgia.
None of my Revell re-issued Matchbox kits have that problem, and I have had them for well over a decade.

On another note,Shaun at S&S does have Hanomag track units cast in metal. I have a esci sdkfz251/1 that needed tracks,and Shaun provided the track, complete with wheels all cast in one piece.
magnification

Post by magnification »

Good point Ray. I guess I assume they were Revell issues because they were in a Revell box but who knows what the previous owner may have shuffled!
ray

Group Builds

Post by ray »

magnification wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:31 pm Good point Ray. I guess I assume they were Revell issues because they were in a Revell box but who knows what the previous owner may have shuffled!
You never know mate. Ask Shaun,you never know,he might be able to help thmbs2)
Hornswoggler

Post by Hornswoggler »

I'm afraid Revell produced Matchbox kits are not exempt either. A little while ago I picked up three combination sets of Revell Scottish infantry/M3 Honeys at a model show for a fiver each - bargain! Not exactly. When I got home I found the tracks on all three Honeys had turned brittle and simply snapped into bits.
Oh dear, that is the first I've heard of it affecting any Revell re-issues...
I think there is a business opportunity here for someone like SHQ to expand there range of white metal Vehicle Accessory packs to include more than just Panzer III and Sherman track lengths. I would buy loads.
I suspect a lot of these problems will soon be resolved by 3D printing - take a look at the running gear and tracks on these printed Shermans, especially the inside and reverse detail:

http://jpwargamingplace.blogspot.com/20 ... nt-in.html
ray

Group Builds

Post by ray »

Hornswoggler wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:00 am
I'm afraid Revell produced Matchbox kits are not exempt either. A little while ago I picked up three combination sets of Revell Scottish infantry/M3 Honeys at a model show for a fiver each - bargain! Not exactly. When I got home I found the tracks on all three Honeys had turned brittle and simply snapped into bits.
Oh dear, that is the first I've heard of it affecting any Revell re-issues...
I think there is a business opportunity here for someone like SHQ to expand there range of white metal Vehicle Accessory packs to include more than just Panzer III and Sherman track lengths. I would buy loads.
I suspect a lot of these problems will soon be resolved by 3D printing - take a look at the running gear and tracks on these printed Shermans, especially the inside and reverse detail:

http://jpwargamingplace.blogspot.com/20 ... nt-in.html
Not very fond of 3D printed vehicles. I built 3 Heller b Sherman's 2 weeks ago,and they have rubber tracks, I did not paint them as they ere black, so after some weathering, they looked the part.
In 40 years of modelling I have never encountered problems with rubber tracks melting.I suppose I am lucky.
I prefer link and length tracks. thmbs2)
Hornswoggler

Post by Hornswoggler »

I'm not so mad about 3D printed vehicles either, though mightily impressed by how quickly they are improving (especially the resin prints) - probably because I enjoy the modelling part of the hobby so much...

What I do find quite exciting is the ability to print a replacement set of tracks or even a single piece complete running gear for any model. I have noticed that the display modellers have been enthusiastic adopters, producing and sharing CAD designs of items like replacement wheels with corrected tyre treads for specific kits. Potentially a lot of aftermarket could go DIY...
panzerfaust200
Site Admin

Post by panzerfaust200 »

It seems that Dragon’s new ‘neo tracks’ are basically link and length injection moulded plastic - hurrah!
Iain R

Post by Iain R »

Why manufacturers can't just accept this as "standard", same as they did with rubber band tracks in the 70s, is beyond me....

Either that or the S-Model/ Airfix/Trumpeter solution of having the roadwheels and tracks as two integral halves that glue together...
High on life. And thinners.

Mainly thinners.
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

Late to the party as usual, but my 2p…

I also had the Revell Honey/Jocks combo pack and the tracks were brittle. They were a different colour to the Matchbox originals, which gave me no trouble. In fact, I’ve never had an issue with any tracks from Matchbox. Nitto holds that record for me!

Biggest track issue i have is with die cast models going ‘sticky’. I now avoid die cast and for all rubber tracks I coat in PVA before painting and basing.

Return to “Modelling tips and guides.”