Making Wall Textures for MDF and Matboard Buildings

Where to place tips and guides for modelling and requests for same...
Ryan
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Making Wall Textures for MDF and Matboard Buildings

Post by Ryan »

Hi Everyone,

I have recently finished this matboard building, a Gamecraft Minis 15mm kit, and I thought I'd demonstrate how I make the texture for the walls using ground up coloured pastel chalks and acrylic gel. One might just as easily use PVA in place of the gel, i dunno. There's a link to my Youtube tutorial at the bottom.

This turned out a little more contrasty than I had envisioned, but I'm still happy with it. One doesn't get a sense of it being 15mm, blown up in a photo. If I wanted to spend more time on it, I'd tone down the contrast a bit and add some chips exposing the raw stucco on the bottom floor. Actually, now that I type this, I probably will!

The brickwork is model railroad TT scale sheet.

Here it is in juxtaposition with other buildings from other manufacturers in the same scale. For me, my terrain doesn't have to be super-realistic. I think 15mm scale is kind of cartoony and simplified, but I think a good paint job and some interesting colours make for an attractive game board without have to spend too much time or money. These Gamecraft kits are all about $11 - $13 US, so they're pretty cheap and they can be easily embellished. They really do look like the kinds of buildings I've seen in multiple European towns and cities and they can be easily pimped up to capture the flavour of different countries or even time periods.

Here's the Youtube tutorial. Hopefully it gives you guys some good ideas, I think there's a lot of ways you could stretch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPiQDPNmx5U

billk
Supporting Member

Re: Making Wall Textures for MDF and Matboard Buildings

Post by billk »

Ryan, wonderful work.
The colors are spot-on.
All of your stuff is really quite inspiring.
Gunbird

Group Builds

Post by Gunbird »

Loving your brick and mortar work :)
panzerfaust200
Site Admin

Post by panzerfaust200 »

Great stuff thmbs2) really enjoyed the YouTube too!
You have a new subscriber ;)

Return to “Modelling tips and guides.”