Loyd carrier in North Africa?

Where to place research pics and info, and ask about the same....
Fitz
Supporting Member

Loyd carrier in North Africa?

Post by Fitz »

Was the Loyd carrier used at all in North Africa? What about Sicily and Italy?

Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Re: Loyd carrier in North Africa?

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

I have read that the Loyd was supposed to be used in North Africa but I have never seen a photograph of one there. Given that it would have been used to tow things like 6 poundres which were being Porteed in NA I can't see any point in its having been sent to NA in the first place. The same goes for Sicily but they were probably used in Italy by such things as MG Companies for their 4.2" Mortars but again I've not seen any photographic evidence.
Alan
sandsmodels

Group Builds

Post by sandsmodels »

according to the bible on unicarriers and other gb carirers (nigel watson) they were sent to the middle east and there is a picture in his book showing some in egypt,
there is even a middle easts towage sketch arangement.
there were definately in italy as well.
Scruton
Supporting Member

Post by Scruton »

Alanmccoubrey wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:33 pm I have read that the Loyd was supposed to be used in North Africa but I have never seen a photograph of one there. Given that it would have been used to tow things like 6 poundres which were being Porteed in NA I can't see any point in its having been sent to NA in the first place. The same goes for Sicily but they were probably used in Italy by such things as MG Companies for their 4.2" Mortars but again I've not seen any photographic evidence.
I was able to find a grand total of 1 shot in the IWM photo collections showing a 2nd Sherwood Foresters Loyd in Italy in 1944: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... /205204556 -- but that's the only shot I could find of a Loyd carrier in service with a unit serving in North Africa, Sicily, or Italy.
Barry Marriott

Post by Barry Marriott »

Hello all.

There is evidence of Loyd carriers being used in North Africa. The Australian War Memorial film archive has some footage taken near Alamein in July 1942 showing a Valentine-equipped regiment being moved on White tank transporters. On one of the Whites are two Loyd carriers fitted with canvas canopies. Being in a tank unit they are probably the Loyd Starting and Charging variant. This is the link to the film - https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C190135 - the Loyd carriers are at the 0:05:37 mark. I made a still of the Loyds but am not sure how to post it, and also have a photo that is probably the same two Loyds, but taken from the opposite side.

Somewhere I also have another picture of a Loyd Carrier in the desert. From memory it may be a cable-laying variant. I can't recall where the picture is - possibly in a Japanese-published "Ground Power" magazine or something like that.

Hope this information helps.

Barry.
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Good find Barry, as you say they are probably battery chargers and so not something that would normally appear on the wargames table.
Alan
sandsmodels

Group Builds

Post by sandsmodels »

yes great footage, the carying of the lloyd at right angles in new to me.
ok in the desert i suppose, no lamp posts to knock over :D
Fitz
Supporting Member

Post by Fitz »

ImageImage

Here's a couple of stills I grabbed from the film.

As far as I'm concerned, the important thing is that I can reasonably paint the Loyd in desert colours, even if it wasn't, properly speaking, a battlefield vehicle. Not that they were ever intended to be much in harm's way in any case, as they weren't built from armour plate.
sandsmodels

Group Builds

Post by sandsmodels »

yep reckon so
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

Many thanx all for the info, a most interesting thread.... thmbs2)
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
Trockledockle

Post by Trockledockle »

Found a picture of two in a vehicle park in Alexandria docks along with Matilda’s and various cruiser tanks, artillery etc. It is in Beda Fomm by Macksey in the Pan WW2 series. It must have been taken before March 1941 as HMS York is in the background and it was sunk at Suda Bay.
notbing2

Post by notbing2 »

Interesting I've just ordered this book on eBay the first book in this series I've bought for about 30 years just for this Pic. I probably need a new hobby.
Stewart
pete
Supporting Member

Post by pete »

Hi all
Is the implication of the above that it was the universal carrier that was used to tow the 6 pounder in Italy?

Pete
sandsmodels

Group Builds

Post by sandsmodels »

pete wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:38 pm Hi all
Is the implication of the above that it was the universal carrier that was used to tow the 6 pounder in Italy?

Pete
uni carriers were used for towing guns in nwe as well quite a bit
pete
Supporting Member

Post by pete »

Thanks

Return to “Research pics and info”