The Army that got away. German 15. Armee in the summer of 1944.

Where to place research pics and info, and ask about the same....
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

The Army that got away. German 15. Armee in the summer of 1944.

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

I feel the need to unburden myself in a quick rant. Don McHugh was kind enough to lend me his copy of "The Army that got away. The German 15. Armee in the summer of 1944" This is the third in the triology covering Holland in 1944 and like the other two is a huge work of great importance and of great value to we wargamers. That said this particular book is KILLING me with its simple factual errors each of which to me is like being poked in the ey with a sharp stick. In just the Preface, Introduction and first Chapter the authors have mangaed to both enlighten and reduce me to a state of rage all at the same time.
First there is their constant use of a capital V when a German is a "von", the convention is lower case "v" and when a book is about an Armee commanded by a "von" this happens on every page. To make it worse that even granted the Commander of the 6.Armee in Stalingrad a "von", goodness me we are in the 23rd year of the 21st Century could they not get Paulus's name correct ?
Then there are the days of the week. On Page 53 a sentence starts "Sunday, 9th of June..." Blow me down the 9th of June 1944 was a FRIDAY, I mean it isn't as though everyone doesn't know that D-Day was Tuesday.
By far the worst offense however is their slaughtering of the title of the 1st Battalion, Royal Ulster Rifles. This fine body of men played some little pat in the fighting being covered east of the Orne so they appear often. So far they have been called "Royal Ulster Regiment", "The Royal Ulsters" and just plain "Ulsters". An ULSTER is a fecking overcoat, try calling them that and see how far towards the Naafi door you get ! Call them 1 RUR (as they do on the maps), or Ulster Rifles or even if you feeling familiar "Stickies". Perhaps it is because I joined the Irish Rangers in 1972 and as this was very close to the amalgamation I found myself serving with men who still insisted they were "Skins", "Faughs" and "Stickies" that I am taking such offense here. Our ancient Ammuniton Corporal had actually been in Normandy so I can just imagine his reaction.
I know that this is really just a bye product of my being in recovery from an operation but goodness me I do need to vent ! And please don't let it put you off the book which otherwise is brilliant.

Alan
Fire at Will
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Re: The Army that got away. German 15. Armee in the summer of 1944.

Post by Fire at Will »

Glad to see you are back on form Alan thmbs2) thmbs2) :lol: :lol:
RichardM

Post by RichardM »

I just look at it for the pictures ..... :lol: :lol:
And she said “You haven’t bought more of those little men have you?”

https://rctlittlesoldiers.blogspot.com.au
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

RichardM wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:13 am I just look at it for the pictures ..... :lol: :lol:
I take pictures of the pictures :lol:
Alan
panzerfaust200
Site Admin

Post by panzerfaust200 »

Alanmccoubrey wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:25 am
RichardM wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:13 am I just look at it for the pictures ..... :lol: :lol:
I take pictures of the pictures :lol:
I wait for you to send me pictures of the pictures... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Research pics and info”