panzerfaust200 - Kampfgruppe Wotan

Including WIPs
panzerfaust200
Site Admin

panzerfaust200 - Kampfgruppe Wotan

Post by panzerfaust200 »

Lets face it... this was almost inevitable really once I started modelling again... :roll:

The idea was always for me to do a late war Waffen-SS army for the last six months of the war.... ideally based around Kampfgruppe Peiper from late 1944 on the Western Front, (all the big cats!) and be as historically accurate as my nerdy little head desired... my choice of what to include was stifled by the sheer amount of information I had, so once the RapidFire! supplement came out, I had my basis for a list.

<<EDIT>> 27-05-2020 - I need a handful of Fallschirmjager for the Stoumont Scenario too....

BUT I wanted a "get out" clause... and so this initial idea collided with a series of books from my youth, the SS - Wotan series. This was my get out... by building Kampfgruppe Wotan I could create Kampfgruppe Peiper and satisfy my inner OCD nerd, but when something cropped up that I preferred (or couldn't get a model for... or just plain disliked) then my justification was that it was KGW - not KGP. This gave me a way of dodging inconvenient historical details.

SS Wotan was a series of books by author Leo Kessler, allegedly based on the memoirs of former SS Officer Kuno VonDodenburg, whose manuscripts Kessler had "discovered" in a second hand shop in Berne. Published in the late 1970's the original series of seven books charted the course of SS Assault Battalion Wotan (itself a named battalion within the 1st SS Pz.Div LSSAH) through the war, where ever the Leibstandarte went, SS Wotan had a story for each major engagement. (Kessler was of course a pen name for Charles Whiting, a prodigious author and historian who published over 350 books under a variety of pen names). Here's his wiki page... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whiting

So I began this foolishness so long ago I can't remember it? - Somewhere around 2010 perhaps? Ten years on I am no nearer finishing than I ever was, but its going to be fun to try... :twisted:

Cheers!
Last edited by panzerfaust200 on Wed May 27, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Piers
Supporting Member

Re: panzerfaust200 - Kampfgruppe Wotan

Post by Piers »

More than ten I suspect...
panzerfaust200
Site Admin

Post by panzerfaust200 »

Piers wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:49 pm More than ten I suspect...
Quite possibly - but I moved here on late October '08 and 2009 was the year of Russian tanks for Daniel and a huge collection of PLO types for Christian (and a boat for me) so I'm thinking the first actual finished thing (Steyr 1500A and Flak 38) must have been around 2010? ?)

My problem is that I am constantly set back by three things...

1 - the Rule of - "Ooh shiny!" :shock:
2 - the Rule of - it's not good enough !)
3 - the Rule of - you have real work to do that pays the bills!

Rule 1 means that things like a small staff car for a KGWotan Doctor becomes more important than infantry figures...

Or I end up producing two Companies worth of PzJager IV/70...
(at least I can use them for Kampfgruppe Knittel? :oops: )

Rule 2 can paralyse me for days... (the Panzerjagers above were repainted twice because I couldn't get happy with them... and you all saw me repaint the new townhouse for Neustadt - its a curse!) !) !) !) and somedays Rule 2 just means I sit at my desk and stare for a couple of hours... frozen by doubt...

Rule 3 was what led me to producing very little from 2014 onward...

John would say - "do not drift at anchor" - so i'm trying not to....
Last edited by panzerfaust200 on Wed May 27, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arvaker

Post by Arvaker »

Nice to see you getting back up in the saddle. I can relate to your rules, especially being stuck at planning and preparing and always going for the better stuff. My suggestion is that once you do things, do a lot at once. Assembly line style like with the Jagdpanzer, “Klotzen, nicht Kleckern”. Also, starting is half the battle. Put the model on the table and open the paint bottle. But you know this.
The Guild made me do it!
Piers
Supporting Member

Post by Piers »

Just send me all the stuff you ain't happy with...
S_P

Group Builds

Post by S_P »

Love to this back going again thmbs2) thmbs2) thmbs2)
Poacher
Supporting Member

Post by Poacher »

I loved the Wotan series and also have eyes on doing Piepers Kampfrugge from the Battle of the Bulge book. I can take inspiration from you as it is a long term project and real life gets in the way !! Keep it going , slow but steady. Rob thmbs2)
RichardM

Post by RichardM »

This is wonderful to see being resurrected.

But it scares the bejesus out of me because I remember it starting and i’m Not sure I’ve painted much 20mm WWII since. And Inhave boxes full to paint.

Bring it on (maybe a sentiment for both of us)

Richard
And she said “You haven’t bought more of those little men have you?”

https://rctlittlesoldiers.blogspot.com.au
chairborne
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by chairborne »

Good to see Wotan make a return. Perfect is the enemy of (very) good...
peterh

Post by peterh »

those rules speak to me as well - never good enough, distracted by tangents, riddled with self-doubt! press on is the only answer, but knowing the answer and living it are so very different sometimes!
Paratrooper67

Post by Paratrooper67 »

Piers wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:30 pm Just send me all the stuff you ain't happy with...
Join the que Piers!!
Paratrooper67

Post by Paratrooper67 »

Good stuff Rob
I know have the perfect comment for you !!
You know what I am going to say ?
So great to see you at last doing modelling again and Wotan better get finished know or else ❤️😎😂👍☠️
panzerfaust200
Site Admin

Post by panzerfaust200 »

ImageImage
panzerfaust200
Site Admin

Post by panzerfaust200 »

Paratrooper67 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:46 pm You know what I am going to say ?
No cutting corners? :lol:
laurence strong

Group Builds

Post by laurence strong »

Oh yeah..... :D :D :D

So looking forward to this again.......

Cheers
Larry
pete
Supporting Member

Post by pete »

Can't wait, absolutely brilliant work.
Paratrooper67

Post by Paratrooper67 »

Very pretty indeed 👍
Hincmar

Post by Hincmar »

Great to see the Master back in action again.

The Wotan / Kessler books were a major part of my misspent youth too, as you know! There they sit, snugly on the shelf behind me as I type this right now.

Points 1 - 3 are indeed always applicable but the payback is the quality of your work.
empecinado

Group Builds

Post by empecinado »

panzerfaust200 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:59 pm Or I end up producing two Companies worth of PzJager IV/70...
Love that camo! One day I will try on my Panzerjaeger L70 zug thmbs2) thmbs2) thmbs2) thmbs2) thmbs2)
ansbachdragoner

Post by ansbachdragoner »

So glad that KG Wotan is back, some of the most inspiring painting and modelling I've seen. That Ambush camo is inspired, going to try to copy for a Panzer IVJ I've got on the work bench.

Return to “Projects, plans, and progess”